- Interaction between the hydrosphere, lithosphere, atmosphere and biosphere in the Eoarchaean.
- Tectonics in the Archaean
- Evolution of the New England Fold Belt.
- Nutman, A.P., Bennett, V.C., Friend, C.R.L. (2012) Waves and weathering at 3.7 Ga: Geological evidence for an equable terrestrial climate under the faint early Sun. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 59, 167-176.
- Hiess J., Bennett V.C., Nutman A.P. & Williams I.S. (2010) Archaean fluid-assisted crustal cannibalism recorded by low δ18O and negative εHf(T) isotopic signatures of West Greenland granite zircon: Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 101, 1027-1050.
- Nutman, A.P., Friend, C.R.L. (2009) New 1:20,000 scale geological maps, synthesis and history of investigation of the Isua supracrustal belt and adjacent orthogneisses, southern West Greenland: A glimpse of Eoarchaean crust formation and orogeny. Precambrian Research, 172, 189-211.
- Bennett, V.C., Brandon, A.D., Nutman, A.P. (2007) Hadean mantle dynamics from coupled 142-143 neodymium isotopes in Eoarchean rocks. Science, 318, 1907-1910.
- Nutman, A.P., Friend, C.R.L. (2007) Terranes with ca. 2715 and 2650 Ma high-pressure metamorphisms juxtaposed in the Nuuk region, southern West Greenland: Complexities of Neoarchaean collisional orogeny. Precambrian Research, 155, 159-203.
Early Precambrian crustal evolution, climate, environment and emerging life. This is undertaken via integrated field studies (including geological mapping), geochemistry and zircon U-Pb geochronology.
- Director of GeoQuEST, University of Wollongong (since 2013)
- Associate Professor, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong (since 2010)
- Previous position, Professorial Fellow, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, Beijing (2006-2009)
- Prior appointments were in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Japan & U.K.
- PhD, University of Exeter, U.K., 1980